Yup, I'm bringing this blog back from the dead for my travels to Georgia (the country). I'll try to blog pretty regularly, so we'll see how successful I am.
We are officially Peace Corps Trainees! After months of waiting and preparing, it's quite a relief to finally be in-country, meeting staff, and discussing action plans for work. It's also a relief to finally be here because of the long journey it took to just get to this location. I left Richmond at 5 am Thursday morning, drove to the airport in snow and ice, flew to Washington, DC, rode metros and cars to see friends and check-in at staging, spent a couple days being trained by US Peace Corps Staff, then we all hauled all our luggage to the airport (there was so much luggage), and flew to Munich to have an 8 hour layover. Most of my new friends stayed around the terminal, but my old friend Logan and I spent the day at the spa. Best. Layover. Ever. Seriously, I've never felt so relaxed and pampered between plane rides. Thanks Munich! Our flight to Tbilisi got in at 3:15 am, but we were still welcomed by many staff and current volunteers. Such a warm welcome. We loaded into buses again and drove up north to our training site in Bazaleti. It's a little lake town and we are all housed in an Old Russian Radio compound. It's all updated and quite nice.
So far the staff seem amazing and I really like the other volunteers. We are a diverse group, but we are all united in the fact that we signed up for this crazy adventure to this beautiful country.
Georgia, sasiamovnoa (nice to meet you)!
Tuesday, April 21, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment