Thursday, July 7, 2011

I was up so high, lookin' down at the sky, don't let me fall

    I'm ironically afraid of heights for a tall person. Therefore, this next post may surprise you... It surprised me.

    During our stay in Cape Coast, we heard about a national forest that was nearby. After doing a little more research, we discovered it's called Kakum National Park and that they offered a canopy walk experience. Therefore, we adventurous people hailed a taxi and rode about 30 km out to "virgin rainforest" to discover what we could. And what we discovered was virgin awesomeness.

    We paid our entry fees and joined a group. The group was mostly packed with students; apparently we had come during a field trip. Best. Field trip. Ever. We all took a little hike and listened to a short explanation of the park and how the canopy walk was built. Don't ask me to remember much - it wasn't my field trip. Then we got in a big line and ascended some stairs to start our adventure in the air.



    The entire walk was thrilling and terrifying. The surroundings were awesome and the view phenomenal. Yet, when you're 100 ft above the forest floor, your walk isn't that stable. I think I would have been fine, except for the shakiness of the walkway. So basically I was the constraint in our little group, since my legs seemed to lock up slightly when each time I raised one foot, the other shook... Yikes.



    Regardless of my terror, I made it across all the walkways (there were about six), and it was awesome. Definitely an excellent addition to my summer adventures!

    1 comment:

    Jensens said...

    Um. Wow. And you and I couldn't even make the drive down Highway 1 or tour the inside of a sub and yet you went inside those tunnels in Vietnam and walked across the rain forest canopy. You go girl and conquer those fears!