Anyway, I was slightly bummed due to the fact that I was missing out on all the fun when I decided to make some fun myself. I could tell that the other interns were feeling a bit of a drag as well, so I hatched a plan.
Every Independence Day celebration needs certain things:
fireworks, parades, barbeques, and patriotism.We had miraculously had excellent corn on the cob at dinner, so I considered that the barbeque portion of the evening (unbeknownst to the rest of the group... We did think it was conveniently timed though). I also knew that I had a snowball's chance in Ghana of finding fireworks at the Abomosu market, so I got working on the next best thing: solitare. Not that the game itself is a requisite substitute for patriotic festivities, but the result of a win is...
So I called the rest of the group into the living room and got working on Solitaire. I have been honing my Solitaire skills lately, so I didn't think it would take me long. Ironically, it took me forever. But luckily the other interns are patient-ish and I soon had Miley Cyrus full blast while I conquered a Solitaire game and prepared for my parade.
And then I remembered that Solitaire just drops and shatters the cards instead of congratulatory fireworks. All that hard work down the drain. But I carried on with my parade anyway, and marched back and forth across the living room tossing Obama biscuits to the masses (or four other interns... I had to work with what I had). Obama biscuits are these small packages of cracker things with Obama's picture on it and the most patriotic thing I could access at the time.
Luckily I did remember that Mahjong celebrates with fireworks after a successful finish, so I slayed the game (first try, I'm getting really good at that one) and we entertained ourselves with a quick fireworks finale.
It wasn't the most traditional holiday observance, but we made do here in our little town in Africa...
2 comments:
i think this is the definition of... bloom where you are planted, if the mountain won't go to..., make the best of any situation, be of good cheer, etc. This is what I love about you.
I LOVE MAHJONG! haha. It has epic fireworks. Also, HEARTS has fireworks. Just fyi. I love your American-ness. Mostly, I love you.
Bring back an Obama biscuit. Or at the very least, take a picture.
Post a Comment