Sunday, June 26, 2011

Money, Money, Money

    Well, we finally gave our first loans! It’s been quite the process, but we were finally able to approve loans for five men in Asunafo. They all came to the majority of our classes last month and were great students. After working through their business plans and pricing with them, we allowed them to form a “pod,” and then Supe and I went to the bank.


    As it turned out, going to the bank was the hardest step in that process… The bank we have our account at is actually in Kwabeng, a town about 30 minutes away from Abomosu. Since Joey and Spencer opened the account last year, Supe and I couldn’t just waltz in and withdraw, even if we are the only other obronis trying to bank with them. Luckily Stephen is on the account, so if he was there, he could approve the withdrawal. Stephen was super busy this week with some World Joy guests (another NGO that helps build schools and health clinics in the area). So we worked out a system where Supe, Nkansa, and I would meet Stephen and a bank employee in Ekorso (a town about halfway in between), Stephen would sign a paper, then the rest of us would continue on to the bank and get the money!
    Easier said than done…
    Supe, Nkansa, and I were in place at our appointed time… Stephen was supposed to come just after 11, and we weren’t sure what the status of the bank employee was. As the time rounded noon, with no sign of either of them and no phone service to call anyone, we were about to give up hope and call a cab. Luckily Stephen pulled up just as we had decided to go. But when we met him, he wanted to know where the paper was. We were supposed to go get it from Kwabeng… Hooray for misunderstandings. So we rode off on our bumpy way to go get the paper, and got to the bank just in time for the skies to let loose their fury. Hooray for the rainy season. As we were waiting in the bank, someone got a call from Stephen that he was just going to come meet us there, since his plans with World Joy were rained out. Hooray for the rainy season (no sarcasm this time)!
    After getting everything worked out with the bank (Stephen taught the GM, so it pays to know Stephen), we crammed the four of us (and 2,400 GHC in a Ziploc baggie) into the back of a taxi and headed home.
    The next morning we met with the loan recipients. They were really excited to finally be able to get started on their projects. Twelve hundred of the cedis went to the men in back (Douglas, Moses, and Benjamin). They each got 400 to work together on a fish farm, where they will have about 2,000 tilapia and mad fish in about six months’ time. The two in front (George and Sampson) are cocoa farmers and they will use 550 GHC each to buy fertilizers and insecticides that will enable them to double their yield. I told them it was just an investment into my favorite addiction. These are great guys will benefit so much from these loans.


    I’m so excited that we finally have started to do what we came here to do. As awesome and as necessary as teaching classes is, it is really rewarding to finally be doing something that will really make such a big difference in their lives. I’m excited to hear about their progress and see how this will affect their lives.



    P.S. While we were waiting in Ekorso, we stumbled upon this school. Apparently I'm not as far from home as I thought I was... I guess Sky View actually raised the funds to build this school the year after I left. Pretty cool!

    1 comment:

    Jensens said...

    I can't decide which news I love best! The part about Sky View's school or that you are doing your part to assure cocoa production! Oh and I guess fish farming is good, too. Keep posting. Love the news. Love you!