P.S. I was a Vietnamese millionaire for about an hour today. A whole 1.000.000 Vietnamese dong rested in my lady pocket from the time I took it out of the ATM till we got to the restaurant. Don't worry, it was only about $50, but it was still a nice feeling.
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
Culture Clash
Today is our first full day in Ho Chi Minh City, also known as Saigon. We've gotten a chance to see a little bit of the city and visit some businesses and the common theme I've seen is one of seeming culture clashes, and I'm not just talking about my towering white American frame. These apparent clashes are all over the city: between old culture and new ideas, leftover French architecture and classic Asian influence, open economic markets and communist rule, shacks and high rises. Even its name is a split issue, technically called Ho Chi Minh, but still referred to as Saigon by most. Vietnam, and Ho Chi Minh particularly, is a country in transition and trying to find its identity. I hope that they can find a balance between all of these differences, as it makes for a unique experience for all who visit.

P.S. I was a Vietnamese millionaire for about an hour today. A whole 1.000.000 Vietnamese dong rested in my lady pocket from the time I took it out of the ATM till we got to the restaurant. Don't worry, it was only about $50, but it was still a nice feeling.
P.S. I was a Vietnamese millionaire for about an hour today. A whole 1.000.000 Vietnamese dong rested in my lady pocket from the time I took it out of the ATM till we got to the restaurant. Don't worry, it was only about $50, but it was still a nice feeling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
wow, so I didn't realize that they had the French architecture there. Amazing. So fun you are going to all these places so we can learn right along with you!
And congrats on being a Vietnamese millionaire for a second!
Wowza. You are loaded. That's interesting about their city. I'm glad you can experience it so I don't have to.
How fun to be a millionaire for a few minutes!!
Post a Comment