The train reminded me a lot of the ones in Chicago, except for the obvious thing: everything was in French. And a lot more colorful. Plus I love that in this picture it's a bunny. As if bunnies ride the metro. Nor does it make the picture less gruesome. What about animal cruelty people?
Anyway, so we got off on the St. Michel, Notre Dame stop and navigated the numerous escalators with our humongous luggage. Yes, we were four girls, but we had so many bags! We must have been a sight to see. Plus we were so nappy because of the traveling. I know I was. Then, when we got up to the street, which was right on the Seine, it was about 75 degrees and sunny. And guess what we did? Oui, we got lost. Ug. We didn't realize that we were on the wrong side of the Seine and that it splits right where we were. At least we were lost in the greatest city on earth! There we were, walking round and round with beaucoup de baggages, with our maps out. Finally we made it, and we crashed in the hotel for a little while. As I lay here on my bed, exhausted from my flights and jet lag, The big windows are open and the sounds of the city spill into my room.
We weren't in the hotel long, though. Who wants to hang around the hotel when there is Paris to be explored? So quite a few of us found each other and went for une promenade. Juliet needed a recharge card for her SFR sim card. Basically she got a french number for her phone and wanted to buy some more credit for it. So we wandered up the Boulevard St. Michel until we found one. By that time, it was time to eat, so when she was done, there happened to be a creperie around the corner. (By the way, that isn't anything special, il y a beaucoup de creperies dans Paris!)
Being my first experience in Paris, I was actually well satisfied! I didn't use any of my French, but the crepe was fantastic. It was buckwheat, square, and filled with cheesy goodness. I think there was bacon and tomatoes in it. I can almost remember what it was called, but not quite, so if I remember it later, I'll write it down.
We had to head back to the hotel after the creperie, as we had to meet Kathe, our group leader in the lobby at 5. Time for the all important meeting!
Except it wasn't that all important. Kathe was way tired from the trip, and kind of out of it. But what was important was that we were all there and ready for the next month! Very exciting!
After the meeting, it was back to the hotel room. We were all wiped out from the transantlantic flight and all that went along with it. I personally was extremely tired, but wanted to call everyone and let them know that I was ok. Skype is a wonderful thing. I wonder who invented it. They should be applauded. So if you're out there, hear this and know that I think you are fantastic. But anyway, we had some slow internet at the hotel, so I was able to get on and talk to people and change my facebook status. It's sad how that has taken over my life, but it really is a good way to keep in contact with people. Basically, it was a very uneventful night, but I was glad, and went to bed about nine while listening to the sounds of the city. The whole night we were serenaded by a high school marching band that were playing on the Place de St. Michel. They sounded great though! I totally loved it.
The hotel we stayed at is called Albe Hotel, at 1, rue de la Harpe. It was so quaint and french. I was excited because I really didn't want to stay at some lame Best Western or something like that. Instead we were right on the Seine down the street from the Notre Dame. I really enjoyed the location. One thing I had to get used to was the room key system. We didn't just get two copies of the key and we had to return them. The key just didn't leave the hotel.
1 comment:
Weird key rule. But at least you don't have to worry about losing it. I would do that. I love your pictures. Can't wait to pour over them. Too bad they aren't in slide form, we could've whipped out Jon's old machine and had a grand ol time.
Post a Comment