Thursday, August 2, 2012

A Global Gospel


    The Church is awesome.  Not just because it is the true and restored Gospel on the Earth today, but also the sheer organization of it all across the world.  I love that I can go to church on Sunday in Kenya and get the same lesson that is being taught in Utah and all through Europe and South America and everywhere.  But here is a little bit about the little group of saints in the Changamwe branch.  First of all, we are in the Africa Southeast district (Kenya Nairobi Mission and Johannesburg South Africa Temple district).  There are three branches in Mombasa area: Mombasa, Bomburi, and Changamwe.  Since I am about 20 km outside of Mombasa, the Changamwe (an area on the mainland, just west of the Mombasa island) is the closest for me to go.  The branch meets in a little building in the busy area of Changamwe.  (Sometimes it can get noisy, as there’s a metal shop just across the street and they definitely work on Sundays.)  With about 40 members, it’s a great little branch.  I even get to go to a YSA class for Sunday School; in fact I even got to teach the lesson last Sunday for that class, with a total prep time of about two minutes.  It turned out pretty good though. 
    There are two missionaries assigned to the Changamwe area: Elder Ngwenya from Zimbabwe and Elder Raymond from Rigby, Idaho.  It’s funny to see Elder Raymond interacting with people here, as he is a redheaded farm boy from Idaho, who has picked up the accent and mannerisms.  I have worked with them a little bit, as they came out to Mariakani to teach a lesson to Bernard.  He and I have had some discussions while we drive all over the region, and one day that got directed toward religion.  We talked about the history and core beliefs of the church and then I told him about missionaries.  When I asked if he’d like to meet with them, he accepted.  The first lesson went really well and he’s open to meeting with them again.  It’s been great to see the work of the Lord progressing here in Kenya. 

    No comments: