Saturday, July 28, 2012

Mental Pictures


    There have been some amazing moments on my trip so far, but some of them couldn’t be captured by my camera lens.  Either due to the fact that my camera is dead and I don’t have a charger or that it would have been inappropriate to snap a picture, I have had to resort to mental pictures.  But I thought I’d share some of my favorite moments. 
    ***
    One afternoon while in Mombasa, we went and explored Fort Jesus and the Old Town.  The area was built up a lot by Portuguese traders and British colonizers, so there was a European feel, all while being distinctly African.  This square in particular used to be the hub of all activity in a bygone era, but has now fallen into a slower pace.  As we passed through the square, my eyes found a cement stoop supporting two beautiful figures in conversation: a Muslim woman in full burqa and a Masai man dressed in the traditional tribal red plaid fabric and white beaded accessories.  They captured the essence of what I have found Mombasa to be: an area full of diverse, deeply rooted cultures that fully respect each other.  Indians, Arabs, and Africans have lived, traded, and mingled here for hundreds of years.  People observe their beliefs while allowing and appreciating others’.  It’s absolutely fantastic.  
    ***
    The highway out of Mombasa is always jam-packed with semis and every other vehicle known to man.  One particular day, I saw a flat-fronted semi coming the opposite way.  As it approached, I discovered that it was more of a half-fronted semi.  Traffic was bad so I got a great glimpse of the fractured frame of the inconceivably running vehicle.  As they passed my window, I could see right into the cab and got a great view of the driver’s legs.  They must have gotten in a wreck, but instead of banging out the dents, they just cut them out. You’ve got to respect the mad ability of making do with whatever.  And think of it this way, at least they get a good breeze without having to roll down the windows.
    ***
    I've gotten to see a lot of the bush during different drives.  One morning we were out at the break of dawn (yes, I did wake up before the sun once), and that break of dawn was amazing to behold.  As we sped down the road, I could look out over the road and see rolling hills of bush.  This morning they were covered with pockets of morning fog. Little mud houses and baobab trees dotted the scene. It was breathtaking and made waking up so early worth it for a moment.  (But don't expect it to become a habit... I don't want to cheapen the experience.)
    ***
    Last Saturday I went out on a collections route on farmer pay day.  The craziest part of the route is that we would be driving down a dirt road with no sign of life around, then Bernard would know just where to pull over, and a clump of farmers would be waiting with their buckets or bottles. One man stood out to me so distinctly. Bernard had pulled into a spot where I never would have noticed anyone, and looking out my window, the first sight I saw was this adorable old man in a worn out shirt and slacks, clutching a tiny green pitcher with a hopeful look on his face. At first my heart wanted to break because of his situation. I had no background on the man, but I just wanted to take him in my arms and make everything all better. And then I realized that is why we were here. He may live in a remote part of the bush with not a lot of resources, but we were there to buy his one liter of milk and give him an income. If I had come all the way just to give that man 30 shillings, it could have been worth it. But by George, I'm going to do everything in my power to make this dairy a success so that I can give that man, and the whole coastal countryside, 30 shillings or more every day. I knew that this project was a good cause when I started (otherwise I wouldn't even be here), but sweet little old man Christian Umazi personified why I am here and gave me motivation to never slack.

    2 comments:

    Porter said...

    Why was I never aware that you had a blog? These are some great images -- thanks for sharing them. I am really impressed with the experiences you are having there. And I'm happy that I made it into one of your jumping pictures.

    Jensens said...

    Beautiful mental pictures. Love the blog.