Sunday, October 3, 2010

Au début

    This is my favorite time of any trip: the beginning. Not only do you still have a whole suitcase of fresh clothes or some semblance of sanity, but you also have the promise of adventures ahead. The possibilities are still full of potential. It is still seemingly unreal to be sitting in Switzerland right now. This trip has been unique in that I haven't had much time to mentally prepare. The last five weeks have been simply survival, and I wasn't even doing a very good job at that! I had no time to psych myself up for the trip, so it's already off to an interesting start.
    Switzerland is so pristine and beautiful. I love it so much. I have missed the tranquility. There is such a respect for the quality of life here. The US is so busy all the time, it's easy to get lost in the hustle. Although I'll still have responsibilities, I expect the Swiss air to calm my soul. Just being here for a few hours has been soothing.
    Plus I've gotten to know some people in my group better already. I love how traveling together bonds people. We have a great group, with some really great people!

    Well, it's currently 10:28 pm local time, and I've been traveling since yesterday morning, so I'm going to bed. Here's to the start of something new!

    3 comments:

    Jensens said...

    I'm glad you are able to slow down, relax and enjoy. Congrats on going to bed at a reasonable time. Maybe your body clock is set to a French/Swiss time. :) Maybe when you get back to the US, you will be able to see that we, too, have beautiful scenery and peaceful places if you know how and where to look.

    Adam and Aubrey said...

    You should probably never go to New York. It's more hustle and bustley. That's totally a word, btw. I too love the excitement, etc, that a new trip/adventure brings! So much hope and promise! YAY! I miss you and can't wait to hear all about it!

    Brittney said...

    Mel just reading your blog made me feel all relaxed and want to go to Switzerland too! I am glad you are getting some relaxation you have needed it! And I agree with you, this trip came up so quickly I totally wasn't mentally prepared for you to leave either!
    So glad you are loving it! LOVE YOU!